More than 50% of the participants have lived in Bismarck for less than 10 years.


The two most common answers to the question, “What is the primary reason you moved off the reservation into the Bismarck- Mandan area?”

  • To seek new opportunity for a better quality of life.
  • To get an education.



When asked to rate the quality of life indicators in Bismarck and Mandan, participant replies suggest:

  • 70% of Bismarck participants say the employment opportunities are good to excellent. Only 27% of Mandan residents make the same statement. The remaining 73% say the employment opportunities in Mandan are poor to fair.
  • Nearly 50% of Bismarck (48%) or Mandan (46%) participants find the friendliness of the community poor to fair.
  • A similar proportion reports they have a poor sense of community or connection.
  • In Bismarck, 64% rated that cultural and social diversity in Bismarck as poor to fair. For Mandan participants, 58% made the same report.


This one sample of residency data from the Project GUIDE Survey. The complete survey data is available to Sacred Pipe Resource Center members and local nonprofit organizations. Please contact us for more information.